,
Random
Oval

Tower bridge (part four)

Waterloo bridge (part three)

Angel

Cloisonné jar

Fine luggage, furniture and curios - Dee Zammit

Bethnal Green

Hounslow West

Admonitions handscroll

The queen of vintage - Hilary Proctor

Wandsworth bridge (part one)

Macadamia and stem ginger cookies

Bronze model of a human head

Hungerford bridge (part four)

Northfields

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
St Mary-at-Lambeth
 (голосов: 0)
St Mary's has been run since 1979 by the Tradescant Trust as the Garden Museum, for in its churchyard there lie buried those famous pioneers of English horticulture, John Tradescant (c.1570-1638) and his son, also John (1608-62), gardeners to the monarchs and magnates of Stuart England. West of their tomb stands the monument of William Bligh, who was the master of the Bounty in 1789 when the notorious mutiny took place. His house still stands in Lambeth Road.

St Mary-at-Lambeth

The pedlar, who traditionally gave an acre of land to the parish on the site of County Hall (access on application).


The church is a remodelling by P. C. Hardwick in 1851-2 of a building of 1374-7, whose aisles were rebuilt and extended in early Tudor times. Its architectural character is therefore that of 14th-century Decorated. Lambeth Palace stands next door as the London home of the Archbishops of Canterbury; the palace's 15th-century red-brick gateway forms a picturesque pair with St Mary's ragstone tower. Several archbishops have been buried in the church, or have memorials there.

St Mary-at-Lambeth

Captain Bligh's tomb in the churchyard.


The interior walls and columns are very sprucely cleaned amidst the museum's display. The tall nave has standard 14th-century octagonal columns with moulded capitals. The sizeable chancel has two Tudor tomb-chests, flanking the former high altar, but now hidden behind a screen. The east window has flowing tracery and is filled with stained glass by Francis Stevens. The west window is Perpendicular and has stained glass in memory of Archbishop Moore. On the north wall there is a terracotta carving of the Crucifixion by George Tinworth.


Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.