Hammersmith bridge (part four)

Lead pilgrim badge depicting St. George and the dragon

How to spot a bargain

English folk art and taxidermy - Stewart Tuckniss

Deptford Bridge

All Saints

Essential etiquette (part one)

Lime and passion fruit curd


London`s churches & cathedrals. Introduction. (part one)

Buttons galore

Marble statue of a youth on horseback

St Martin-in-the-Fields

Active Service

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
St Mary Abbots (Kensington Church Street)
 (голосов: 0)
The proud spire rises to 85 metres (278 ft), the highest in London. Kensington is a very prosperous part of London today. Sir George Gilbert Scott's church of 1868-72 mirrors that status. St Mary's first noticeable feature is the vaulted cloister that crosses the churchyard. This was added in 1889-93 by J. T. Micklethwaite and Somers Clarke. Scott's church is built of Kentish ragstone over brick, with blue Bath stone used to line it internally. The tower stands at the north-east corner of the chancel, an unusual position. The spire was added in 1879. The style of the church is 13th-century Geometrical, which Scott generally deployed, but rarely did he have the chance to build so lavish a church.

St Mary Abbots (Kensington Church Street)

The arcade in Early English style.

The interior, 54.5 metres (179 ft) long, focuses on the high altar and reredos, which Scott designed and the firm of Clayton & Bell made. Clayton & Bell also provided most of the stained glass. An exception is the east window of the chapel of the Resurrection, which is by James Powell. The pulpit is a panelled and finely moulded Classical example that was given in 1697 by King William III, the builder of Kensington Palace. The grandest memorial (in the south transept) is ascribed to J. B. Guetfi and commemorates the seventh Earl of Warwick (died 1721). The Earl sits languidly in Roman dress and leans on an urn, against a large pedimented backplate surmounted by his arms. An earlier monument, to Wlliam Courten (died 1702), has distinguished connections, for it was carved by Grinling Gibbons for Sir Hans Sloane.

St Mary Abbots (Kensington Church Street)

Scott's reredos, the focus of the interior.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.