Queen's Park

Bronze head from a statue emperor Hadrian


The last course

Chalfont & Latimer

Raphael (1483-1520), The Virgin and Child

Hinton St Mary mosaic

Wooden bodhisattva mask

The 19th Century. From the ccrimea to the boer war.(part two)

Loose leaves or tea bags ?

Moor Park

The capsules

Steel peacock

Jade bi

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
St Pancras Parish Church
 (голосов: 0)
The famous railway station that was opened in 1868 took its name from an ancient parish that developed rapidly in Georgian times. A bigger church was needed and the result was a remarkable Greek Revival building, which was built in 1819-22 to the designs of William Inwood and his son, Henry William. Henry William Inwood travelled to Greece to study Classical buildings. In 1827 he published The Erechtheon at Athens, whose details he had duly copied in Upper Woburn Place.

St Pancras Parish Church

The tower is based on the Temple of the Winds in Athens, and the caryatid porch is copied from the Erechtheion.

The church has a west portico of six Ionic columns and a tower that is copied from a Classical Greek building, the Temple of the Winds. The octagonal original is repeated here in three diminishing stages. A short obelisk spire and cross surmount it. The body of the church has two substantial projections at the east angles. These projections each have four draped female figures or caryatides, as at the Erectheion (an original is in the British Museum). They were made of terracotta round an iron spine. The interior preserves its galleries, box-pews, and high Georgian pulpit on Ionic columns. Six giant Ionic columns of scagliola or imitation marble stand in the apse, on a high base and away from the wall, emphasizing the east end. The sanctuary and choir were largely refitted in 1889. Six more Ionic columns support the west gallery, where the organ has a fine Greek Revival case.

St Pancras Parish Church

The well-preserved late Georgian interior includes a monumental screen of Ionic columns at the east end.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.