Marble portrait of Alexander the Great

Hampton Court Bridge (part two)

Upper part of a colossal limestone statue of a bearded man

Westminster bridge (part six)

Sword from the armoury of Tipu Sultan (1750-99)

Old Street

Prince Regent

Colossal winged bull from the Palace of Sargon

The Blues and Royals

Palmerston gold chocolate cups


Ivory statuette of a king

Richmond railway bridge


Barnes Railway bridge

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
St Clement Danes
 (голосов: 0)
St Clement Danes

St Clement Danes has served as the central church of the Royal Air Force since 1958, following a distinguished restoration by Anthony Lloyd in 1955-8 to repair the ravages of bombing in 1941. The body of the church had been rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1680-2, but the tower had been the work of Joshua Marshall in 1669-70, and to that tower James Gibbs had added the familiar steeple in 1719-1720.

The church has the advantage of a spacious island site, where Aldwych and the Strand meet. Statues of Lord Dowding, the victor of the Battle of Britain, and Sir Arthur “Bomber” Harris introduce the RAF connection. The tall west tower and steeple present a curious mixture of styles. The dorrway is an early Classical work. Then there are two Y-traceried windows above, separated by a Wren-style porthole. Finally, above the clock-faces, there are belfry windows with “Gibbs surroundings” and a steeple of three receding, open-arched octagonal stages, the middle one with a concave architrave, and all liberally adorned with urns.

St Clement Danes

An aisle view shows the glass-fronted cases that contain RAF rolls of honour.

The spacious, galleried interior immediately present to the eye a mass of darkly stained woodwork, which is notably more faithful to a Wren interior than the light-coloured woodwork introduced into many restorations of Wren’s churches. Square, paneled piers support the galleries, above which Corinthian columns rise to carry block entablatures, coffered arches and the tunnel-vault of the nave. The galleries are groin-vaulted. The east end consists of a quadrant bay on each side and an apse. The capitals are gilded, as are the cherubim and the surroundings of heraldic shields above the arcades. Dominating all these features are the Stuart royal arms, placed over the east arch.

St Clement Danes

St Clement’s became the central church of RAF after a distinguished restoration in 1955-8. The unusually wide central aisle shows some of the hundreds of RAF squadron badges in slate set into the floor.

The Wren-style reredos has two large arched panels painted by Ruskin Spear to represent the Annunciation. The east window depicts Christ in glory, by Carl Edwards. Also by him are the Virgin and Child to the north, and the pietà to the south. On each side of the sanctuary there is a canopied bishop’s chair. The pulpit is the highly carved 17th century original, but the lectern is a remarkably ornate work of postwar date, by Anthony Lloyd. The west gallery houses the organ by Ralph Downes, which has a distinguished case featuring four towers surmounted by urns and embellished with much gilding. Over 700 RAF squadron badges in slate are set into the floor, with a larger one for the whole RAF at the west end, and this principal badge is surrounded by overseas allies’ badges. Below the aisle windows there are glass-fronted cases that contain RAF rolls of honour. Carved stalls are provided at the west end for the commanders of the RAF.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.