,
Random
Kentish Town

The sandwich

Granite statue of Ankhwa the ship-builder

Stanmore

Black Death and Rebellion

Gilded bronze figure of Tara

Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp

London bridge (part fourteen)

English folk art and taxidermy - Stewart Tuckniss

The Coldstream Guards

Jade terrapin

Marble figure of Buddha Amitabha

Charing Cross

Fine luggage, furniture and curios - Dee Zammit

Lime and passion fruit curd

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Westminster Abbey (Collegiate Church of St Peter, Parliament Square) - part one
 (голосов: 0)
Westminster Abbey (Collegiate Church of St Peter, Parliament Square) - part oneWestminster Abbey lies at the heart of English history. Monarchs of the nation for almost a millennium have come and gone through its doors and have been crowned and entombed within its walls. It owes its considerable importance to St Edward the Confessor, King of England from 1042 to 1066. He went to live at Westminster and decided to rebuild an existing Benedictine monastery of St Peter on a substantial scale, in accordance with the latest architectural ideas in Normandy, where he had been exiled for 25 years. He spent his later years in supervising the great project, and when he died, just days after the abbey's consecration, was buried in front of its high altar. For a king who was generally seen to have been weak, he came to have an extraordinary hold on his successors, as a symbol of legitimate royal authority, and in religious terms. He was acceptable both to the Normans, for William the Conqueror presented himself as Edward's legitimate successor, and to the English, for he was the last king of the ancient line of Wessex. Edward was canonized in 1161 and was enshrined two years later. In the 13th century, King Henry III rebuilt the whole church on Gothic lines - again in accordance with the latest architectural fashions in France - and erected a new and sumptuous shrine for St Edward, which was completed in 1269.

Westminster Abbey (Collegiate Church of St Peter, Parliament Square) - part one

Hawksmoor's familiar west towers, seen from Dean's Yard.


The most remarkable fact about the shrine is that it survives today with its relics intact. It is true that it was despoiled and dismantled at the Reformation, but St Edward's relics were not dishonored and the shrine was restored (albeit clumsily) under Mary Tudor. The abbey has been the coronation church of the monarchs of England since William the Conqueror, and from even earlier in the 11th century it was a royal burial church. Some of the most famous monarchs in English history are entombed here in monuments that are among the foremost works of sculpture and architecture of their times. No church in London can even begin to compete with Westminster Abbey in the number and quality of its monuments.

Although the Confessor transformed the status of Westminster Abbey, he was not its founder. A Benedictine abbey had existed in the 10th century, and it seems probable that it went back further, to the reign of King Offa. But this 'prehistory' palls before the role of the Confessor. From his time, Westminster was a principal Benedictine abbey in England, until all the monasteries were dissolved under King Henry VIII. In 1560, under Queen Elizabeth I, the church was permanently redesignated as the Collegiate Church of St Peter, ruled by a Dean and Chapter and under the direct authority of the monarch as Visitor

Westminster Abbey (Collegiate Church of St Peter, Parliament Square) - part one

The west front consists of Henry Yevele's west end of the nave, and Hawksmoor's 18th-century towers.


The abbey is built of Reigate stone, except for the east part - Henry Vll's chapel - which is of Huddleston stone. It needs to be remembered, however, that what the visitor sees today is an outer skin that is the result of countless restorations. Restoration has been almost continuous under a succession of eminent architects. The appearance of two prominent parts of the exterior has been greatly altered since the Middle Ages. The familiar west towers are largely the work of the 18th-century Baroque architect Nicholas Hawksmoor. The towers are notable for being so respectful of the design of the mediaeval nave. Secondly, the north transept front was substantially rebuilt by J. L. Pearson in the late 19th century, partly to his own designs. He was determined to be independent, an attitude shared by many eminent architects. (A 20th-century surveyor, Sir Walter Tapper, worked in alliance with an equally determined dean, William Foxley Norris, so that people spoke of decisions being taken by 'the Dean and Tapper').


Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.