Willesden Green

Edward Burne-Jones (1833-98), St. George fighting the Dragon

Putney Bridge


Wandsworth bridge (part two)

Westminster bridge (part five)

Ndop, wooden carving of  King Shyaam aMbul aNgoong

Portland vase

After the Clink – Prison Reform

Design through the decades

Lambeth bridge (part three)


Ship’s figurehead


Old Royal Naval College Chapel

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Tower bridge (part three)
 (голосов: 0)
The foundations of the piers were dug out inside wrought-iron caissons sunk 25 feet into the riverbed and filled with concrete.The piers, 70 feet wide and 185 feet long, were built with Staffordshire bricks with granite facings. They were built hollow, as they had to contain massive chambers for the counterbalanced ends of the bascules. The towers were built with a skeleton of steel girders, making them strong enough to take the strain of opening the central bascules, and were additionally braced by three landing floors and the iron walkways. The walkways consist of two 95-foot cantilevers, which support a central linking girder. The side spans are supported by steel suspension chains attached to the main towers and the abutment towers. All the steelwork was supplied and built by Sir William Arrol & Compamy. It was made in Glasgow and delivered by steamers to be assembled on site, using cranes, which were moved up as each stage was completed. Great care was taken at all times to prevent any tools or rivets falling into the river, as many boats, including pleasure steamers, were constantly passing through. So as not to obstruct the passage of ships, the bascules had to be built in the vertical position.

Tower bridge (part three)

Horace Jones' early design for Tower Bridge, with an arched span between the towers. Chains would lift the bascules like a medieval drawbridge.

Hydraulic machinery was installed in the piers to operate the bascules, as well as the lifts that would take pedestrians up to the walkways when the bridge was open, though staircases were also provided. To save on power, each of the bascules is loaded at its lower end with 130 tons of pig iron and lead, and the total weight of each bascule is 1,200 tons. All the hydraulic machinery was supplied by Sir William Armstrong, Mitchell & Company, and the steam engines to drive it were placed on the south side of the bridge, under the approach road. All of the machinery was installed in duplicate, as an insurance against anything going wrong.When the bridge first opened, it took two minutes to raise the bascules.The hydraulics were replaced by electricity in 1976, though much of the old machinery was preserved and can still be seen.

The towers are covered in Cornish granite, with Portland stone dressings, none of it stress-bearing, rather like the cladding on modern steel-framed buildings. The bridge has a medieval look, as it was specified that it had to be in keeping with the nearby Tower of London. Horace Jones' original plan was for the bridge to be clad in red brick, but Barry's architectural assistant, George D. Stevenson, made a number of changes to the architectural detailing. He added windows, balconies and other features to add visual interest, and the result is more like a Scottish castle than an English one.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.