,
Random
Conclusions

The Setting

Battersea bridge (part three)

Lycurgus cup

Tower bridge (part six)

Gold dagger handle

Reliquary of St Eustace

Harlesden

Station etiquette

Kingston bridge (part one)

Sudbury Hill

Horse Guards and its Surroundings

Waterloo bridge (part one)

The First World War

Tower bridge (part two)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Cannon street railway bridge
 (голосов: 0)
In 1861 the South Eastern Railway Company obtained an Act of Parliament to extend its line from London Bridge station across the Thames to a new station on Cannon Street, right in the heart of the City. Sir John Hawkshaw, as consulting engineer to the company, designed the station, the bridge and the viaducts leading up to it. The bridge was originally called the Alexandra Bridge after the Danish princess who married the Prince of Wales shortly before work began in 1863. The bridge and station opened on 1 September 1863.The bridge had five spans of girders resting on fluted Doric cast-iron cylinders, four to each pier, and decorated brackets formed a sort of cornice. The bridge was originally 89 feet wide and carried five tracks, and there was a footpath cantilevered out on each side, the downstream one for railway staff, and the upstream one for the public, who had to pay a halfpenny toll. In 1878 the bridge was freed from toll, but the company later closed the footpath to the public, and it has never been replaced. There was talk about a new footbridge being added to the bridge to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Jubilee, but the idea seems to have been quietly shelved.


Cannon street railway bridge

A photograph of Cannon Street Railway Bridge and station taken in about 1913.



During 1889-92 the bridge was widened to 120 feet to accommodate an extra five tracks, when Francis Brady added two cylinders to each pier on the upstream side at the same time removing the public footpath. In 1915—20 further strengthening work was carried out to carry heavier locomotives. In the late 1970s the bridge was rebuilt by British Rail, and the number of tracks was reduced again to five. During the work much of the decorative cast iron was removed and the Doric capitals were replaced by concrete.


Cannon street railway bridge

Cannon Street Railway Bridge today, minus what little decoration it originally had.



When Cannon Street station was built, the foundations of a substantial first-century AD Roman building were found, and it is thought it may have been the palace of the provincial governor. In medieval and Tudor times it was the site of the Steelyard, the trading centre of merchants of the Hanseatic League from Germany. In September 2005 the Duke of Kent unveiled a plaque on the downstream wall of the station, overlooking the Thames Path, to commemorate this fact.The station, by Sir John Hawkshaw and Sir John Wolfe-Barry, had an arched iron and glass roof that was taller than the roof of St Pancras station. The only parts of the original station still standing are the distinctive pair of towers on either side of the platforms, and the side walls. The towers were built to house water tanks used to operate lifts. As part of the scheme there was a hotel on Cannon Street, designed by E. M. Barry in the Italianate style, but this was replaced in the 1 960s with an office block by the notorious architect John Poulson, who was later jailed for corruption and bribery. In the 1980s the station roof was replaced by another office block, whose piles were driven through the station platforms. In 2007 it was announced that the railway and Underground stations, as well as the offices above are to be refurbished, though the station will continue to operate during the redevelopment.





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.