Hammersmith bridge (part three)

Millennium Bridge (part one)

Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472-1553), St. George and the Dragon

Design and construction

Gilded mummy mask

Bird kite



Pudding Mill Lane

Dhratarastra, Guardian King of the East


Granite statue of Ankhwa the ship-builder

Admonitions handscroll

Tooting Beс

Bronze aquamanile

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Lambeth bridge (part two)
 (голосов: 0)
The bridge opened on 10 November 1862, the birthday of the Prince of Wales, and tor the first week it was toll-free. The bridge's construction had cost less than £50,000, so it was expected to be a financial success, but it was not universally admired. Dickens called it 'on the whole, the ugliest ever built', and The Times admitted that 'it was not a handsome structure'. Unfortunately there were also rumours going around that the bridge was unsafe and many people refused to use it.The toll revenue was therefore well below expectations, and much of it came from pedestrians.The Metropolitan Board of Works bought the bridge in 1879 for £36,000, though the bridge company had demanded £100,000. On 24 May 1879 it was freed from tolls by the Prince and Princess of Wales, along with four other bridges, in a popular act which saw the streets thronged with spectators.

Lambeth bridge (part two)

Lambeth bridge (part two)

The Prince of Wales freeing Lambeth Bridge from tolls in 1879.

Unfortunately, as Barlow was an inexperienced bridge-builder, and as he had been forced to build the bridge on the cheap, it was not long before serious problems became apparent. Within ten years of its freeing, it was clear that the bridge was in a poor state, with badly corroded ironwork, because it had not received any anti-rust treatment when it was installed. In 1887 Sir Benjamin Baker, the engineer of the Forth Railway Bridge, inspected the bridge and found that the anchorages in the abutments were failing, and repairs were carried out. By now it was clear that the bridge was unable to cope with the extra traffic and needed replacing, but the London County Council, which now owned the bridge, decided that the replacement of Vauxhall Bridge had to take priority. By 1900 gates had been installed at each end of the bridge so that it could be closed if it became too crowded. In 1905 the LCC had to impose a 2.5-ton weight limit on the bridge, and traffic was forced to cross it at a walking pace. In 1910 they banned all vehicular traffic from using the bridge, so that it became a footbridge for the last years of its life, and the gates were often closed if it was felt the bridge was getting too crowded.

Proposals for a new bridge were discussed for years by the LCC, but money was not available for such an undertaking. In 1912 and 1913 they made applications to Parliament for permission to rebuild it, but they were rejected, as it was felt that the design was unsympathetic to that of the Palace of Westminster, and even the Archbishop of Canterbury came out against it. Then the war intervened, and not until the 1920s was a new bridge seriously considered again, though by now it was needed to take pressure offWestminster and Vauxhall Bridges, which were becoming more and more congested. Parliamentary approval was granted in 1924, though nothing happened for a few years, while discussions continued over the design proposed for such a sensitive site. The project also got caught up in the wider discussions about river crossings in London, which led to the report of the Royal Commission on Cross-River Traffic in 1926. In some quarters there were people who questioned the need for the bridge at all, and Lord Lee of Fareham, the chairman of the Commission, said that it 'started from nowhere, went nowhere, and did not contribute in the slightest degree to a solution of any item of the traffic problem'.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.