,
Random
Westminster bridge (part one)

Violence and War

Events

Finsbury Park

Giant sculpture of a scarab beetle

Hawai’ian feather cape

Mill Hill East

Stone funerary bust of Aqmat

Tower bridge (part four)

St Alfege

Automated clock in the form of a galleon, by Hans Schlottheim (1545-1625)

Ealing Broadway

Maria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717), A Surinam caiman fighting a South American false coral snake

The Human Form

Bird kite

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Kew bridge (part two)
 (голосов: 0)
The bridge was sold to the Metropolitan Board of Works (MBW) in 1873, when the tolls were finally dropped. The ceremony was attended by the Lord Mayor and Sheriffs of the City, officials from the MBW and many local dignitaries, and the carriages processed to the bridge from Gunnersbury station along streets lined with large crowds. The bridge was decorated with banners and there were triumphal arches at each end. The Lord Mayor declared the bridge open by unlocking the tollgate, which was then carried around Brentford and Kew in procession on a brewer's dray. The day closed with a firework display.

The bridge was later sold to the county councils of Surrey and Middlesex, who decided the bridge was inadequate for the increased traffic levels and would need to be widened or rebuilt. They asked the engineer Sir John Wolfe-Barry, who had recently built Tower Bridge, to report on the state of the bridge and he advised that, because of the need to underpin the piers, it would be cheaper to replace it. In 1898 an Act was passed and Sir John was commissioned to design the new bridge, along with his partner, Cuthbert Brereton, and it was built by Easton Gibb. In 1899 a temporary timber bridge was built and later that year demolition of the old bridge began.

The new bridge is 1,182 feet long, has three elliptical arches and a heavy balustrade, and is built with granite from Cornwall and Aberdeen. The bridge was opened on 20 May 1903 by Edward VII, who was accompanied by Queen Alexandra. A plaque on the downstream balustrade commemorates the occasion, and the inscription on the stone above it records it as having been laid by the King. He did so using a mallet and trowel whose handles were made from wood from the first bridge, as well as a spirit level in the form of the new bridge.



Kew bridge (part two)

A view of the second Kew Bridge in 1899 by J. Ogilvy.



The bridge was originally called the King Edward VII Bridge in the King's honour, but the name did not prove popular and it soon reverted to its original name.

At the official opening the King was presented with a number of gifts, including the silver mallet and trowel he had used, as well as a bronze axe, complete with part of its wooden haft, which had been found during the bridge's construction. A beautiful flint axe had also been excavated during work on the bridge and it too was presented to the King, set in a brass mount in the shape of the new bridge. In 1994 all these objects turned up at an auction and were bought by the Museum of London. They had apparently been found in a loft during a house clearance and, although the name of the family was never divulged, it is quite likely to have been passed down in the family of Cuthbert Brereton, the engineer, which suggests that the King had decided not to keep the gifts. Another souvenir of the occasion presented to the King was a chair made from the wooden piles of the first bridge. Photographs show it to have been a fine piece of workmanship, with its three cross-rails carved in the outline of each of the three bridges, but its present whereabouts are unknown.


Kew bridge (part two)

OPPOSITE:The second Kew Bridge, painted by James Webb, c. 1880. The water tower of the Grand function Waterworks Company, now part of the Kew Bridge Steam Museum, is actually farther away than it appears.



Electric lights were installed on the bridge in 1957, when Surrey County Council decided to take down the old triple gas lamps, but local residents protested about the decision, and so the old gas lamps were retained and now alternate with the newer lamp standards.


Kew bridge (part two)

The current Kew Bridge, the third on the site. The coats of arms of the Counties of Middlesex and Surrey above the piers are a declaration of joint ownership.


Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.