,
Random
St Mary-le-Bow

East India

Commemorative head of Queen Idia

Gilded outer coffin of Henutmehyt

Chorleywood

Poplar

Gants Hill

The Battle of Waterloo

Francisco Jose de Goya у Lucientes (1746-1828), El sueno de la razon produce monstruos

Nicholas Hilliard (1547-1619), cast and chased gold medal of Elizabeth I

Sandstone stele with a figure of Harihara

Bronze model of a human head

Rosetta Stone

Fear in the Streets

Hawai’ian feather cape

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Richmond lock (part two)
 (голосов: 0)
Richmond Lock was constructed by James More, the Thames Conservancy engineer, at a cost of £61,000. Its total length is 348 feet and it has five steel spans. The three central arches that house the sluices are each 66 feet wide, and the spans at each end are 50 feet. The arch on the Surrey side houses a 250-foot long barge lock, and there are three slipways for smaller boats under the arch on the Middlesex side. The piers are of concrete and they are faced in Cornish granite below water and Staffordshire blue bricks above. The sluice gates were, at the time of construction, the largest ever made, and are 68 feet wide, 12 feet deep and weigh 32 tons. A clever system of counterbalances was used, which allowed the gates to be raised or dropped by two men in about five minutes. An even more ingenious engineering design means that, when the sluice gates are raised, they turn 90 degrees to a horizontal position and sit underneath the bridge, practically out of sight. This answered local concerns about the raised gates looking unsightly in what was, and still is, an area of considerable natural beauty. Building the lock and weir was a considerable feat of engineering, and it was a great achievement that no one died during its construction.

The lock was officially opened on 19 May 1894 by the Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George V and Queen Mary), accompanied by various members of the royal family and the Lord Mayor of London. Four days later there was a less formal celebration, with a carnival procession, boat races and fireworks.

Two footbridges were included in the superstructure for the public to use, and a toll of one penny was charged, though postmen and soldiers did not have to pay. It was by many years the last bridge on the tideway to charge a toll. The charge was finally abolished in 1938, as collecting it cost more than the revenue earned, especially as people were now able to use the nearby Twickenham Bridge for free.


Richmond lock (part two)

Engraving from the Illustrated London News celebrating the opening of Richmond Lock.



The steel arches of the footbridges and their parapets are painted in an attractive light green and cream, and there are lamp standards with glass globes at intervals. On the Surrey shore is a brick building looking a little like a railway station, which is the office of the Port of London Authority (PLA), which operates the lock.

The water level from here to Teddington is kept at or above half tide and is maintained by raising the sluice gates from about two hours before high tide until two hours after it. During this time boats can go through two of the three central arches (the first one on the Surrey side is no longer used by river traffic as the harbourmaster's launch is moored there). When the gates are closed, three red warning lights hang from the bridge and boats have to go through the lock, where working boats pay a fee, placed in a bucket let down on a pole. The hand-operated mechanism for lifting and lowering the sluice gates was replaced by electric motors in 1960.The upstream footbridge is now used only by the PLA staff, who operate the sluice gates from it, opening and closing each one individually.

In the early 1990s the PLA carried out a £4 million renovation of the structure, and in 1994 Prince Andrew, Duke of York, unveiled a plaque on the Twickenham side to commemorate its opening by his royal namesake one hundred years earlier.


Richmond lock (part two)

Richmond Lock. One of the raised sluices resting inside the superstructure.


Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.