London Eye Barracuda

Theydon Bois


Scene from a satirical papyrus

St James's Park

Chicken with tarragon butter

London bridge (part two)


Elephant & Castle


Franks casket

Marble Arch

The Horse Guards Building

Bronze figure of a seated cat

Jam biscuits

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Richmond railway bridge
 (голосов: 0)
The first railway line to Richmond opened in 1846, but the London & South Western Railway soon decided to extend it to Staines and Windsor. This entailed building a bridge over the Thames, and the Richmond, Windsor & Staines Railway Bridge, as it was originally called, was the result. It was designed by the company's engineer, Joseph Locke, and the work was carried out by Thomas Brassey. The bridge opened in August 1848 and consisted of three spans of cast iron, and the piers were cased in stone. On the Surrey side the approach is over a viaduct of seven brick arches through Richmond Deer Park.

Richmond railway bridge

Richmond Railway Bridge today.

In 1891 a cast-iron bridge of similar design in Norbury collapsed. The Richmond bridge was therefore replaced by a very similar steel structure in 1908.The engineer, J. W. Jacomb-Hood, used the old piers and abutments, thus retaining the original appearance of the bridge. The new structure is now actually two separate bridges, each carrying one line of track. Further major work was carried out in 1984, when the main girders and decking were replaced.

Richmond railway bridge

BELOW: An engraving from the Illustrated London News showing the Richmond Railway Bridge soon after its opening.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.