,
Random
Pytney bridge (part one)

Westbourne Grove

St Clement Danes

Raphael (1483-1520), The Virgin and Child

St George’s

Heathrow (Terminals 1, 2, 3, Terminal 4 and Terminal 5).

Westminster bridge (part one)

Wesley's Chapel

Stone relief of a lion hunt

Jade cong

Elverson Road

St George's Cathedral (Lambeth Road)

Vauxhall bridge (part one)

Whitechapel

Hillingdon

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Hampton Court Bridge (part one)
 (голосов: 0)
Hampton Court Bridge qualifies as the furthest upstream Thames bridge in Greater London because its northern half is in the London Borough of Richmond-on-Thames, the boundary with Surrey running across the centre of it. The current bridge is the fourth one on the site.


Hampton Court Bridge (part one)

Anonymous print of the first, Chinese-style, bridge at Hampton Court, probably inspired by a drawing by Canaletto. A drive over the humps of the bridge must have been most uncomfortable.


Hampton was a village of minor importance until Thomas Wolsey, who was later to become a cardinal and Lord Chancellor of England, acquired the manor in 1514 and built himself a grand palace there. There are no records of a ferry operating there until 1536, by which time Wolsey had fallen from favour and Henry VIII was making the palace even more magnificent. By the middle of the eighteenth century the ferry was operated by James Clarke, who decided that, with the increase in traffic, it was time to build a bridge, which would be a more financially rewarding enterprise. A Parliamentary Bill was passed in 1750 and work began in 1752. Designed and built by Samuel Stevens and Benjamin Ludgator, the wooden bridge opened on 13 December 1753. It was a decidedly unusual construction, with a picturesque Chinese appearance, not unlike the well-known 'Willow pattern' design. It had seven arches, and there were curious 'pagodas' on each side of the central span. Its obvious charm attracted several artists to draw or paint it, including Canaletto, but people crossing the bridge found the humps made the ride very uncomfortable, and the toll was higher than for the ferry. It was not a particularly strong construction, needing regular repairs, and it lasted only twenty-five years.

Anonymous print of the first, Chinese-style, bridge at Hampton Court, probably inspired by a drawing by Canaletto. A drive over the humps of the bridge must have been most uncomfortable.

Its replacement, built by a Mr. White of Weybridge, was erected on the same alignment and using the same abutments. It was also built of wood but was quite unlike the first bridge, resembling rather the first bridges at Putney and Battersea. It had ten arches, and there was a tollhouse on the Middlesex side. It opened in 1778 and was a financial success, especially when there was a race meeting at nearby Hurst Park. Even though it was a sturdier structure than the first bridge, it was much criticized, as the arches were rather narrow, creating an obstruction for river traffic.


Hampton Court Bridge (part one)

Engraving of the third, iron, bridge at Hampton Court which opened in 1865.



Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.